In March, 2013, Livingston County was named the healthiest county in New York State, according to the fourth annual County Health Rankings, released by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the University Of Wisconsin Population Health Institute (UWPHI). How does the county stay so healthy? Easy! There are tons of ways for folks to stay active in Livingston County.
Here are 5:
1. Hike and Bike: Livingston County has no shortage of hiking trails for people of all ages and levels. The Genesee Valley Greenway is a 90-mile path that winds through woodlands, river and stream valleys, lush farmlands, steep gorges, and Americana villages in sixteen towns in Monroe, Livingston, Wyoming, Allegany, and Cattaraugus counties. Want more? The Finger Lakes Trail is New York’s longest Continuous Hiking Trail System. At 562 miles long, it connects the Catskill Mountains with the Allegheny Mountains by passing through the Southern Tier of New York State. Want even MORE? Check out our Hiking and Biking page here.
2. Swim: Livingston County is home to two Finger Lakes—Conesus and Hemlock. Folks can spend the day by the water, swimming, picnicking, fishing, and boating. While Conesus is a developed lake surrounded by houses and restaurants, Hemlock remains undeveloped and is perfect for a quiet day at the lake. Learn more about Conesus and Hemlock lakes here.
3. Camp: Ahhh, the great outdoors! What better way is there to enjoy the great outdoors than camping with friends and family? Livingston County offers plenty of camping sites, including 270 electric campsites and 80 cabins at Letchworth State Park, the Grand Canyon of the East. Letchworth has three major waterfalls, a 17-mile long scenic gorge, tons of hiking trails, picnic areas, and more, all which make for an unforgettable camping experience. Another great place to camp is Stony Brook State Park. Stony Brook has 125 campsites, swimming in two stream-fed gorge pools, hiking trails, tennis courts, picnic shelters, and more. See all the park has to offer here.
4. Golf: Livingston County is full of great golf courses. Spend the day on scenic green courses throughout the county. To see all the courses, click here.
5. Shop: Wander down the sidewalks of any of our historic, Americana downtowns, and you’re sure to find that special something. Browse our many antique, gift, clothes, flower, and craft shops and work up a sweat! Start planning your shopping spree by clicking here.
Staying active in Livingston County is easy and loads of fun!